Larry Gaines, pictured above, tried to shoot a 13-year-old girl off a horse with a load of birdshot in a residential neighborhood. He then claimed this was a “hunting accident” even though he was in his front yard, aiming at the street and hit a girl less than 100 feet away who was sitting on a thousand pound animal:
BAY MINETTE, Alabama — Larry James Gaines was charged with reckless endangerment after a 13-year-old girl riding a horse was hit by shotgun pellets, officials said today.
Gaines, 39, told investigators that he was hunting and fired at a squirrel when the girl was hit, according to a statement by the Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office.
The teen was taken to North Baldwin Infirmary in Bay Minette for examination to determine if any pellets pierced her skin, the statement said.
The girl was riding between 7 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Gray Valley Lane in the Broomley community southwest of Bay Minette. She told officers that she heard racking sound of a shotgun being cocked, then a shot and felt the pellets hit her.
Gaines told deputies he fired his gun from his front yard about 100 feet from where the girl was hit.
The title of that spin piece designed to make you think this was a cut and dry accident is Hunter arrested after teen horseback rider injured in Baldwin County. The reporter is a liberal named Guy Busby. Gaines was bonded out for $1,000.
Intrepid investigators and reporters in the area have failed to consider several facts which cast doubt on this “hunting accident” scenario.
1) Squirrel hunting involves shooting the little rodents mostly when they’re in trees. I know that sometimes they’re shot on the ground but in both those scenarios the shooting wouldn’t be on a horizontal plane. In other words Gaines shouldn’t have been able to hit someone on a horse on his street because he should have been trying to hit something that was in a tree or on the ground.
2) I know some people have one gun for everything but it should be suspicious to people when someone says they’re hunting animals the size of a squirrel with a 20ga shotgun – especially around their own house in a residential area. Maybe he’s a bachelor but I’ll tell you as a married man that there’s no chance in hell I’d be blasting away in my front yard with a shotgun while the Mrs. is around. I’d use a .22 but I get it - lots of people shotgun tree rats. But if you’re by a house next to a road why not be safe and harvest the animals with an “adult” airgun? Hell you can use a rat trap to harvest squirrel – but again I get it. A lot of people like to hunt squirrel with a shotgun.
Most don’t hit kids riding horses though. Which brings me to the most important point …
3) Gaines was close enough to the victim for her to hear him rack a round and he admits to being about 100 feet from her when he shot her. Since the pellets didn’t break her skin we know she was not behind any kind of foliage cover or obstruction since those would have deflected or stopped the pellets altogether. So … what happened?
A hunter 100 feet away from a girl on a horse accidental shot her while aiming for a squirrel because he didn’t see she was in the line of fire? Really? Does hat makes sense to you?
I dare say that if Larry Gaines was a White guy in a confederate flag shirt that shot some kid Guy Busby wouldn’t be bending over backward to make sure no one was suspicious.
The person who sent me this story claims Larry is a bit o a bigot and kind of a weirdo who’s getting “political” in this heated election season. Of course people can say anything. Charles Johnson from Little Green Footballs claimed I was a radical creationist who wanted to replace science textbooks with the Bible even though I’m not even a Christian.
I decided to post this because there is, in our area, a rise of politically motivated Black on White crime. I have witnessed a couple of incidents myself. Before people start I’m half-Black and grew up in an all-Black family in an all-Black area so keep your mouths shut White liberals. But it is undeniable that certain groups and politicians are stirring up class and race resentment and this has serious consequences. I recommend the book White Girl Bleed a lot by Colin Flaherty if you want to see how pervasive this problem is becoming and how reporters like Guy Busby enable it.
So I was at the Deli at Pelham Falls earlier this evening grabbing a delicious burger special when I saw the local Greenville “News” rag had the shooting at the Empire State building as the front page lead. The headline was something like 2 Dead, 9 Wounded in Shooting at Empire State Building and went on to imply that there was a mass shooting. There wasn’t. Some tool who got fired shot someone he blamed for it, ran off and got gunned down by police who wounded all the bystanders in the process.
Here’s three problems I have with he way The Greenville News handled this story in no particular order:
1) Why is this headline news in Greenville? If you grow up in the northeast as I did you are taught that NYC is the cultural center of the world so you care about what goes on there. But here in the south crime in NYC isn’t actually all that important or relavant. Atlanta, Charlotte and Ashevile are all driving distance away and have serious crime problems that spill over into South Carolina in general and Greenville in particular and I’m sure there were shootings there recently. I know lots of New Yorkers and people from the surrounding areas have moved down here but does that mean our media has to cover every crime in transplant’s old stomping grounds?
If the coverage focused on the fact that the police shot nine innocent people while responding to a shooting – and that the person they were shooting didn’t even get a shot off – I could see why they would run this. But they just plugged in the AP report and acted like that was the news of the day for people in a county where a local government official was just locked up for kidnapping. Doesn’t sound like they think keeping locals informed is a priority.
2) The Title is Misleading. And I’m not just talking about the nine wounded part. The two dead in the report includes the murderer. I know you bleeding heart liberals think the murderer and the victim are equal and we should cry for both but I’m pretty sure the victim has a family that would appreciate a moral distinction between their loved one and the scumbag that murdered him. One person died in a shooting, the perpetrator of which was killed later by police. Lumping the two in together makes it seem as if there were two victims and a guy that murders someone he thought didn’t help him enough is not a victim.
3) This isn’t about “gun violence” and gun control laws. The shooter didn’t follow the laws already on the books in NYC. But more importantly the nine people wounded were ALL shot by cops. Next time some hippy tells you only “trained professionals” should have access to guns point this out while laughing in their faces. There’s a commenter that comes to an old post of mine complaining about the use of tasers and who has actually stated that tasers are too dangerous to use on a person so cops should shoot people in the legs to incapacitate them. I guess he’s a New Yorker.
But people like him, and Mayor Bloomberg, use tragedy to push political agendas but this case is about one murder in a city known for being violent and the subsequent mayhem caused by their police department. It proves nothing about gun laws and the real story is that cops in NYC are literally the gang that can’t shoot straight.
But that angle won’t help push a liberal agenda.
It’s just too bad Greenville doesn’t have a real newspaper to turn to for information.
At least the intrepid CaseyVaughn got a description of the events leading up to the robbery, but yet again police are asking for help identifying a person reporters stubbornly refuse to describe. Anyone else see a problem with that?
GREENVILLE, SC (FOX Carolina) – Deputies said a man robbed a tobacco store at knife-point Tuesday morning and fled on foot, but they have yet to find him.
Greenville County deputies said the Tobacco Jungle at 3113 White Horse Rd. was robbed about 9 a.m. by a white male armed with a knife.
FOX Carolina spoke with the clerk and a cook at the K & S restaurant next door who said the power was out at the time of the robbery.
Investigators at the scene were out searching for the suspect about 9:45 a.m. and had found a knife that may have been dropped by the suspect as he fled.
The suspect took money out of the register and fled on foot, running towards Big Lots, deputies said. Deputies’ canine units went out to look for him.
The suspect had dark hair, was wearing jean shorts and a white T-shirt, deputies said.
People with dark hair narrows things down to about 65-70% of people you’ll see today so stay alert.
Update: An eagle eyed reader points out they do say the robber was White which I missed but in my defense I’m 41 and old people have bad eyesight. However even with the race this is a pretty thin description. White guy with dark hair in South Carolina doesn’t exactly narrow it down.
One of the the most reported facts about the Aurora shootings was that James Holmes was wearing a “bulletproof vest” yet like so many other things the media says this is simply not true. Ace of Spades links to a .pdf of the receipt for Holmes’ “bulletproof vest” which shows that it was actually a “tactical” vest of the type used by paintballers, mall ninjas and people who play too much Call of Duty. It was a Blackhawk Urban Assault Vest which is the kind of thing you buy on Amazon for about $100.
This is important for two reasons. One is that despite the narrative of of people who claim we need more regulations there is not a regulation that can be passed that would stop people from owning a cheap vest with big pockets. Depriving me of the ability to own a kevlar vest (which I do own in the form of a German flak jacket I keep as a collector piece) would not effect people like Holmes buying the vests he used in the crime.
More importantly the media is trying to build a narrative that suggests that people who were armed couldn’t have stopped the massacre – because Holmes was wearing a “bulletproof vest” but frankly you can stick a box cutter through one of these vests. Gun free zones (like movie theaters) are picked by mas murderers specifically because they know people are helpless. Some media folks are so invested in trying to become another legislative branch that they use tragedies to push their pet laws. The argument that if someone had a gun they could have stopped Holmes is too hard to argue around so the media is trying to defuse it by claiming Holmes was bulletproof anyway.
Not that bulletproof vests will actually stop bullets – nothing will 100% of the time. But the problem is that people watch the news for facts and yet again we see that the media is not interested in actually finding out facts just making up information as they go along. And this can have consequences both legislatively and in an emergency. Imagine some of these suckers being confronted by some rapist in a paintball outfit and thinking that the person is “bulletproof” so they can’t defend themselves with their car keys even though a hard punch with the keys will go right through the vest. Or how some of these shmos will panic when some kid out playing airsoft goes to buy a soda.
I don’t know if the guy was charged with soliciting sex as a legal maneuver but in common parlance if someone pulls a gun on you and then asks for sex we non law enforcement types like to just go ahead and call that attempted rape. Fox Carolina, as usual, doesn’t want to editorialize – or maybe they do. In this story about an armed robber who tried to get his victim to service him sexually, at gunpoint, they also refer to the thug as a teen in an attempt to make you think he’s just a kid. The perp is 18 so he’s a grown man.
A Rutherford County teen was arrested Sunday after deputies said he tried to rob a store and solicited sex from the clerk.
Deputies said that 18-year-old Charles Johnson walked in to the Iron Work County Store on Sunday and asked the clerk to give him some cigarettes. They said that when the clerk turned back around, Johnson had a gun pointed at her and demanded money.
Deputies said that Johnson then tried to solicit sex from the clerk. They said that when the clerk refused, Johnson pointed the gun at her face and demanded money again.
Johnson fled the scene when another customer walked into the store, deputies said.
Johnson was charged with attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon and attempted first-degree sex offense.
Oh wait. He was charged with a first degree sexual assault not “soliciting sex” so I guess Fox Carolina is actually throwing in terms designed to minimize what this scum did. Why?